Great! You’ve decided to start your own Internet home business and you are counting the money, in your head, that’s falling from the proverbial Internet money tree. But, before jumping into your new home based business there are some basic items that you must take care of first.
1. Remember, “This is a business”! Don’t make the mistake of thinking that you do not have to do any work. Some people look to start an Internet home based business but fall victim to promotional products that promise massive wealth from an Internet home business with no effort on their part. Don’t be this person.
You already have passion for a product or a service you want to provide. Or, maybe you don’t have passion but see a potential to make extra income. In either case you have to put forth the effort and work consistently.
This is a long-term venture that can, and will, provide a healthy flow of income if approached and built correctly. This is not a get rich quick proposition. If you are determined to build your Internet business read on. The information here will provide some basics to help build your foundation and execute your plan of action.
2. Pick a quiet location and set a schedule to work on your business. It’s not going to get done on its own. In the beginning you’ll have to put in the most hours but once you’re set up it should get easier.
If you are still working another full-time job then set a schedule during your off hours. Involve your family in your plans. Let them know what you’re doing and that you should not be disturbed during business hours. Make sure you have a set goal when you start working. Are you writing, researching, or still organizing?
3. Research and learn as much as you can about your niche (product or service). Is there a demand? A Google search query can answer that question. Just type in your product or service on the browser’s search bar and look at the amount of results you get.
Look at some of the results (sites listed on results page), and then start asking yourself some questions. What are others writing about it? How are they structuring their message? How would you like to structure your message? What can you point out that’s missing in the message of others? In other words, how are you going to be different from the rest?
4. While doing research stay focused on your topic of interest. There’s a lot of information on the Internet and it’s easy to be distracted. One way to stay focused is to search keywords or keyword phrases that fit your niche.
Keywords describe the topic of your product or service. A keyword is a single word related to your niche and a keyword phrase is a group of words that focus on specifics of your niche.
For example, business is a niche word and Internet home business is a keyword phrase. Google’s keyword tool is a good place to start your search and gather information related to your keyword or keyword phrase. (Note: Keyword Planner has replaced Google’s Keyword Tool. To access the tool create an AdWords account, it’s still free to use.)
This will also give you a perspective on how you want to spin your message. Making it easier to structure what you want to say and how you want to say it. Make good use of this information; don’t let all this research go to waste.
5. Be organized with your files. I’ve been there and done it too. I’ve gathered information from several sources with the intention of referencing them later and, unfortunately, I didn’t save it in a central location. When it came time to use the data, I couldn’t find it or it took a long time to find.
Here’s how to avoid this. Right click anywhere on your desktop and create a “new folder” named after your project. For example, if you want to do Affiliate marketing you would label your folder “Internet Home Business Affiliate Marketing,” or something similar or shorter. Just make sure that you pick a name that will help remind you what’s in the folder.
If you are collecting Internet tools to help you create a product you can have a separate folder or a folder within your “Internet Home Business” folder labeled “My Internet Home Business Resource Tools.” The same goes for Internet home business eBooks etc…
6. Create a folder for Internet marketing even if this is not your topic. The really big picture that underlines the Internet is that anyone with access can create a website and promote their vision or communicate their thoughts. And, no matter what your passions or ideas are you can turn them into a business as long as there is a demand.
Unfortunately, a lot of people believe that as long as they create a website people will come. Remember earlier I said there is a lot of information on the Internet. All the sites that promote similar products or service are all fighting to get the attention of the same readers. It’s the same for any business that’s online or offline. You have to learn to market your site and get it to stand out.
That means your file folder is going to get bigger. Do your research on Internet marketing for home-based business. Once you have your site set up it becomes the engine of your business. The fuel that keeps it moving is your marketing. You have to understand it, learn it, and apply it. You’ll feel better when you do.
7. Do the same file set up with your browser. Go to your favorite browser’s bookmark menu and create a folder with similar labels. Again, this keeps your information centralized and if you need to segment them you can do so within the folder.
For example, you can create a folder labeled “My Internet Home Business” and bookmark sites that provide information on your keyword or keyword phrase. Within this folder you can have another folder labeled “Internet Marketing” and so on.
You can bookmark your pages on social bookmarks managers. There are many to choose from, Google Bookmarks and Delicious are very popular. You can use these sites for information backup purposes as well. Still, keeping the information on your browser is simple, accessible and easy to manage.
8. Create an idea file. This is just a document where you jot down your thoughts and good ideas that don’t fit into your current topic. And, where will you file this document? That’s right, your “Internet Home Business” folder.
How many times have you found yourself working on a project when something you just did sparks a new idea? So you say to yourself, “I’ll keep that thought in mind for later,” but when you try to recall it you can’t remember. You know it was a good idea because you still have the same good feeling about it but the visual is gone.
By writing it down in your idea file you’ll have the syntax, not only for your written words, but to retrieve your memories. You never know, it could be the next big idea.
9. One more very important thing that you must always apply. This very crucial component will allow you to keep your sanity and reduce your stress. The one thing I am talking about is to maintain a positive attitude. I know it sounds like a no-brainer but many people lose their motivation or quit out of frustration.
Remember this is a business, and like any other business out there, they come with good days and bad days. If you have done your research and formulated a plan then you have a road map to success.
If you are persistent and see yourself moving forward then this is a reason to be up beat and motivated. When people become frustrated and quit that’s because they didn’t do their research and planning. Sometimes, granted, it’s hard to stay positive.
During those periods it’s best to take a break and do something that is not related to your business. This gives you the opportunity to reflect on the problem or concern subconsciously. Maybe it’s something you are overlooking but can fix easily.
Maybe there is nothing you can do about it and should look at other options. In either case, step back relax your mind by spending time away from the business, not too long, and do something pleasurable.
Running a successful home based business means that you’ll always be looking for ways to improve in order to grow. That means having continuous scheduled time to work and review your plan of action, research your market niche, educate yourself, and apply changes when needed.
Nonetheless, without organization you don’t’ have the basic foundation upon which to build. So start putting your Internet home business in order and everything after that becomes easier to manage.